a picture paints a thousand words a good model must be worth a million.
Necessity is the mother of invention; look around - what do we need?
Proudly sponsored by the Australian Institute of Energy
Click here to download a PDF copy of the rules
Click here to download a Risk Assessment Formfor Models & Inventions
Click here to download a copy of the judging rubric.
A successful Oliphant Science Awards Models & Inventions entry:
- Has accurate science content.
- Will be interactive allowing the viewer to manipulate it in some way.
- Will communicate ideas clearly.
- Will show creativity and originality.
- Will show skill in construction and design.
Rules for Models & Inventions:
- A group of up to 3 students can complete a Models & Inventions entry. The highest year level in the group will determine the year category of the entry.
- The Risk Assessment for Models & Inventions form must be completed and signed by a teacher before you start your entry. Download the Risk Assessment form here.
- The ideas demonstrated in the model or invention must be your own work.
- Your model or invention must be no larger than 1m in height x 1m in width x 1m in length.
- Your model or invention must not weigh more than 8 kg.
- Your model or invention cannot be built from a kit without additional original input.
- Your model or invention must not include live animals or plants.
- Your model or invention must not include any items of value – SASTA cannot accept responsibility for any loss or theft of goods
- All parts must be clearly labelled with your ID Number (see Identification Label), because parts may become separated during judging or transport.
- A short written report including the following must be submitted with your Model:
- The completed and signed Risk Assessment for Models & Inventions form.
- The scientific principle demonstrated by your model or used in your invention.
- How the entry was made, including any adult help needed in its construction.
- Any problems that occurred and how you overcame the problems.
- How to operate your model or invention.
- Year R – 2: less than 100 words;
- Year 3 – 4 and 5 – 6: approximately 250 words;
- Year 7 – 8, 9 – 10, 11 – 12: do not exceed 500 words.
If there is any special reason for someone other than the entrants to edit or type the report this must be acknowledged in the report. You must also acknowledge any other assistance that you receive (see Conditions of Entry).
In presenting your Models & Inventions entry:
- An electronic copy of your report and risk assessment MUST be uploaded to the Oliphant Science Awards website between 25-29 July 2022. Details can be found here.
- Attach a report and signed Risk Assessment.
- You must attach your Identification Details as sent to you from your School Coordinator (ID Label or Electronic Cover Sheet)
- Students are asked to consider recording a short video of their project to support their submission. This could be uploaded as an unlisted video on Youtube and shared via URL or QR code on your report!
- Special consideration for country schools: Because of the difficulty and possible damage to models and inventions, students may send in a video of their entry working instead of their actual entry. Details for online submission can be found here.